SC - Spring Foods Brain Buster

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 02:06:29 PST 1998

Back again!

	[Yeldham, Caroline S]  No, I think its cup, the herbs mentioned are
Cost, Costmary, Sauge, Isope, rosemary, Gyllofr;, Goldez, Clarey, Mageron,
Rue'

	Goldez  is marigold, calendula officinalis (John Hervey again).
Tho' I wouldn't be happy adding rue.

	Herbez to Stylle are
	'Endyve, Red Rose, Rosemary, Dragans, Skabiose, Ewfrace, Wermode,
Mogwede, Beteyn, Wylde Tansey, Sauge, Isope, Ersemart'

	(what a wonderful list!)

> The entry in this list I don't recognize and am hesitant to
> speculate on is 'rotys for a gardyn'. Are these plants to cultivate
> as part of a rotation? In rows (which recent information leads me to
> believe may be a New World contribution)?

	[Yeldham, Caroline S]  'Rotys' is roots, not rotation.  I'd be
interested to see your information, but yes, my reading would suggest
growing in raised beds, not rows.  However, raised beds doesn't rule out
rotation - that was certainly established in farming practice.

	the Rotys specified are
	'Persenepez, turnepez, radyce, karettes, galyngale, irynges,
saffron'

	Several interesting points - how few herbs are grown for their
roots.  Saffron defined as a root?  Galyngale as a root which can be grown
in this country - I'd assumed it was imported like all the other spices -
anyone any information.
	I'm trying to track down some fresh galyngale in order to grow it!
I'm also trying to get hold of irynges or sea holly (its protected over
here) to grow it - especially since candied its supposed to be an
aphrodisiac.

> > PS - this new system insists on adding my name every time I hit
> > return and I haven't figured out how to turn it off, so apologies
> > for the apparent egoism!
>
> No problem -- actually, I thought it looked like a nifty feature
> when replying point-by-point to sections of a previous post. Good
> luck in finding a way to disable when not desired!

	[Yeldham, Caroline S]  Thanks to those who have offered help, but I
think Mike is right here on multiple points!

	[Yeldham, Caroline S]
	Caroline