SC - viola, pansies, et

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Thu Mar 5 09:44:02 PST 1998

                      RE>>SC - viola, pansies, etc.                3/5/98

<snip>years ago, so, now that Brid says they're safe, I have 'em anyways. If
you're concerned with space wastage, nasturtiums work well, and are definately
safe. On a side note, you would never be wasting space with johnny jump-ups as
they are utterly charming, <snip>

I would like to add however that my research (off a web-site that I will have
to go back to) also points to Nasturtiums being something that pregnant women
should avoid.
As for flower edibility never trust just one book!  I recently saw a beautiful
book on flower decorations that showed an "edible" spread that included large
amounts of lily-of-the-valley- which would definitely not be a healthy choice,
while sometimes used as a medicinal- it can have nasty side-effects- including
being a strong aborti-whatsit (sorry pregnancy has robbed me of my vocabulary
;) ).
- -brid
(whose parents lawn is half violets and jump-ups and is *gorgeous*- the lawn-
not brid...)