SC - Sumac

Thu Mar 5 13:35:52 PST 1998

I think we have an error in terminology here.  R. copallinum and R.
trilobata should be species of genus Rhus if my meager understanding of
taxonomy is correct.  I believe the term genera may have been used
incorrectly in the original post.  My understanding of the taxonomic
structure for the sumacs is:

Family  (Anacardiaceae)

            Genera  (Anacardium)       species (occidentale)       cashew

                         (Pistacia)                         (vera)
pistachio

                         (Toxicodendron)               (radicans)
poison ivy, poison oak
                                                                (vernix)
poison sumac

                         (Rhus)                             (typhira)
staghorn sumac
                                                                (glabra)
smooth sumac
                                                                (trilobata)
fragarant sumac
                                                                (copallinum)
dwarf sumac

                         (Mangifera)                      (indica)
mango

According to the quick ref, the entire family Anacardiaceae are referred to
a "sumacs".  Genus Rhus are the "true sumacs".  There are some other species
in the Toxicodendrons which are also called poison ivy and poison oak.

So perhaps some one with a better grasp of botany or a better taxonomic
reference will tell me what I'm missing.

Bear