[Fwd: SC - Re: pasties]

Mary Hysong ladymari at gila.net
Thu Mar 5 21:04:32 PST 1998

- --------------FFBFA30F263358260E2B81A1

A Reply from Lady Lyddy about the pasties.

Mairi

- --------------FFBFA30F263358260E2B81A1

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 01:23:57 -0800
From: yolyddy at GILA.NET (Linda Carnahan)
To: Mary Hysong <ladymari at gila.net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: SC - Re: pasties]]

Obviously I'm not getting my point across, let me try again.

The pasty that we prefer today and which the Cornish have decided is
their very own, is nothing like what would be found in period in
Cornwall.  But it would resemble it in looks. Kind of like a tunic made
out of 50/50 cotton with rayon trim. And it would taste much better.
  The references to period pasties that I have are the same as those
that have been eaten in Cornwall for centuries.
   Of the receipes that I have, they can be fried, baked or boiled. But
they are all shaped the same as the pasty we know in Cornwall. The
Cornish cooked on the same iron plate with the domed lid that the Irish
used as late as the 17th century so we know they baked them.  The
filling is whatever was available. Probably eel or pilchards.  Barley
flour would be common. Sometimes they ate grass but for our purposes,
you could use just about anything because the ports of Cornwall brought
in all sorts of goods from everywhere. And especially during the Roman
occupation, when they were payed good Roman coins for their tin, they
could afford just about anything. Or, if you took into account the
Cornish Wreckers, you could say, "Whatever washed ashore." :)

But you won't find a specific reference to a Cornishman eating a pasty
in period.  Few written accounts survive.  I don't remember specifically
but I'll look through Carew's Survey again, if I find something, I'll
send it.  That was sent in 1602 so was compiled in the late 1598, 99 I
believe.

Look at these books... Pleyn Delit the Second Edition and The Medieval
CookBook by Maggie Black.

Also, Chaucer's The Cook's Tale.

Lyddy

- --------------FFBFA30F263358260E2B81A1--