SC - salads

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Mar 5 21:27:26 PST 1998

Aoife asks:

A) Has anyone found a recipe or reference to serving fresh, raw greens (with
acoutrements) such as we find in a modern salad? If so, how might the dish
have differed to the "modern" interpretation of a dinner salad? What about
the dressing (if any)? If the salad differes considerably to modern
interpretations, what would the finished dish be like?

- -------
There has been some discussion on this list before about salads. Some of
these comments and some recipes can be found in this file in my Florilegium:

salads-msg        (64K) 12/ 3/97    Period salads. lettuce, greens.

The medieval salads, at least those that I have seen descriptions of, seem
to be much more imaginative than most modern salads I’ve had. I’ve started
to try to use more varied green stuff in my salads, even day to day, like
the medieval examples.
- -------

F) Why might our modern cooks avoid serving preserved fruits and vegetables,
and how does that slant our perception of what a "real feast" would have
been like?

For more information on preserving fruits and vegetables and using them,
take a look at this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:

pickled-food-msg  (34K)  8/20/97    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
verjuice-msg      (18K) 11/20/97    Medieval verjuice. Modern substitutions.
vinegar-msg       (16K)  8/12/97    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net