SC - Translation, please

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Mar 9 05:24:17 PST 1998

Mistress Sincgiefu instructed:

>Also, Lamb's Lettuce is not the same thing as Lamb's Quarters.  Gerard
>lists 'Lambes Lettuce or Corne Sallad' (Valerianella Locusta, or related
>species), & says "This herbe ... [is] not vnlike ...the garden Lettuce; in
>stead whereof, in Winter and in the first moneths of the Spring it serues
>for a sallad herbe, and is with pleasure eaten with vineger, salt and oile,
>as other sallads be...  [Aoife, are you there?]

I'm reading with baited breath and drooling palate!

Lamb's Ears, perhaps? Ras, would that modern "forrage" be period for this
recipe and locale, and if so, which type---a physical description would be
more helpful to me, but I can see that I must own an Herbal sometime soon.
Several wild American herbs go by that name, some fuzzy, some leggy, all
edible AFAIK.

Aoife