SC - Lamb's Quarters

DianaFiona DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Mar 12 13:34:31 PST 1998

<<
 LrdRas wrote:
 > Chenopodium album is the scientific name for this plant which is also known
as
 > Lamb's Ears.  It is my view that this plant is 'period." <snip for brevity>
 > Ras
 Is this the same thing as Stachys, also known as Lambs Ear? A greyish
 plant with soft, downy/fuzzy young leaves? If so, and this stuff is
 actually edible (not just a nifty, touchy-feely specimen plant), can you
 suggest any ways to prepare it? Actually, even if it's NOT the same
 thing, I'd love to have cooking suggestions, along with hints on where
 to obtain the plant (I'd be happy to trade you johnny-jump ups.... :) ).
 Merci
 Angelique >>
     I think what Ras was discussing is the plant that is more commonly know
as Lamb's Quarters. The plants I've seen called Lamb's Ears are indeed the
Stachys species ones. I can't remember if they are edible or not--I think they
probably are, but look it up in a good herbal or two before trying it--but as
I said before, that wonderful fuzzy texture doesn't sound too appealing to me.
Worse than eating an unscrubbed peach......... ;-) I do remember, though, that
the leaves make good impromptu bandages for minor wounds--they seem to share
some healing properties with their cousin, betony, plus there's that lovely
texture.......
    Most seed/nursery companies carry Lamb's ears, and not a few garden
centers. I don't have any at the moment or I'd be happy to share. They *do*
spread a bit, so watch where you plant them. I believe I remeber that they
like shade, which can help in finding them a niche.
     A couple of my favorite seed companies that you could try are Nichol's
Garden Nursery ( http://www.pacificharbor.com/nichols/) and Pinetree Garden
Seeds (http://trine.com/GardenNet/PinetreeGardens/default.htm). Richter's is
wonderful, as well--they have nearly everything!--but I don't have a bookmark
for their site. A web search should turn them up easily, though.

     Ldy Diana, frustrated because the ground is *still* to wet to work