SC - Raviolis, tortellini and fritters

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 13 09:26:47 PST 1998

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 13-Mar-98 SC - Raviolis,
tortellini a.. by Christi Redeker at digital.
> The original recipe has a title of ravioli or tortellini, but in my
> limited knowledge of Italian (derived from being able to read and dechiper a
> little bit of Spanish) I don't see anywhere in the original for wrapping in
> pasta.  In the author's notes, she says that ravioli, tortelini and fritters
> were used interchangeably until the custom of wrapping a filling in pasta
> became wide spread and known as ravioli and tortelini.

There is a recipe in the British Libraryh: Additional 32085, an
Anglo-Norman collection dating to the late 13th century.  It is a recipe
for  ravioli -- and (apparently) of the wrapped pasta sort.  My source
is Constance Hieatt and Robin Jones' article, Two Anglo-Norman Culinary
Collections Edited from the British Library Manuscripts Additional 32085
and Royal 12.C.xii, published in Speculum 61/4, 1986.  Here's the
transcription and the translation:

8. Ravieles. E une autre manere de viaunde, ke ad a noun ravieles.
Pernez bel flur e sucre, e festes un past; e pernez bon formage e bure,
e braez ensemble; e puys pernez p'ersil e sauge e eschalouns, e mincez
les menu, e jettez les dedenz la fassure, e puys pernez formage mye/ e
metez desus e desuz; e puys metez au furn.

8. Ravioli.  Here is another kind of dish, which is called ravioli.
Take fine flour and sugar and make pasta dough; take good cheese and
butter and cream them together, then take parsley, sage, and shallots,
chop them finely, and put them in the filling (i.e. the cheese and
butter); put the boiled ravioli on a bed of grated cheese and cover them
with more grated cheese, and then reheat them (?)
]

toodles, margaret