SC - Excerpt from medieval cookbooks (FWD) (fwd)

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Mar 16 06:54:44 PST 1998

I checked out the web site and this is the long promised translation of
Odile Redon's "Le Gastronomie du Moyen Age".  I picked it up in the
original French in the Cluny museum in Paris some four or five years ago
and have also heard about both german and italian translations.  Assuming
that the translation to English is done well, this is an excellent and
very valuable book.

In the original French it gives the original of each ofthe recipes (almost
all from French or Italian sources) and then a translation into modern
French.  I'm assuming that in this English translation  the original will
sill be there and a translation into English will follow.  The book leans
heavily on Le Menagier and Taillevent and Platina, but (as I remember) has
a number of more obscure sources that I had not seen before.

Well worth buying.  You really want this book!

elaina