TV and BSE? (was: SC - Galingale and Brains)

Tue Mar 17 18:52:35 PST 1998

> > I fear you are confusing genetic deficiency with disease induced
> impairment.
>
> <snort> Well, taking your comment at face value, which I'm not certain
> is your intent-- there is indeed a genetic marker found in the British
> BSE/CJD victims that indicates a susceptibility/weakness to the protein
> deformation that causes a very cruel disease.

I was thinking more along the lines of inherited stupidity (which seems more
common than inherited intelligence).  However, a genetic marker for
susceptibility to a prion is interesting.  I had not heard of it before.

> This is what I get growing up with a Mom and StepDad with Ph.Ds in
> microbiology. E.coli and its antics were standard dinner table fare.
>
> ciorstan

My father-in-law was the federal veterinarian for Kansas until he retired
about twenty years ago.  We occasionally discuss the perils of animal
transmitted diseases and the joys of fighting epidemics.

Bear