SC - Butchering, Part 2, long again.

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sat Mar 21 22:23:55 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie.
In addition to being Dairy Acheivement 4H Girl for 1982 :) I also was
pre-vet for a while, and so have had some experience with meat processing,
etc. Anybody need their eggs graded? :)

It was my recollection that the hanging process served a number of
functions, primarily though, it gave the meat a chance to "de-rigor". In
other words, the animal dies, goes stiff, and then rictus goes away again.
That's when you carve it up and eat it. I believe its an enzymatic process,
I know for sure it's not "decomposition".

To this end, the "cooling period" isnt' so much a reduction of temperature
(or else we could just freeze it and be done with it), but a period so the
meat will be less tough. So for my King, I would want to age the meat
carefully as long as possible, but in an ice house...

- --AM, a woman of much obscure information.

- ----------
> From: Alderton, Philippa <phlip at morganco.net>
> To: Cooks <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
> Subject: Re: SC - Butchering, Part 2, long again.
> Date: Saturday, March 21, 1998 10:52 PM
>
> If it is detectable, I couldn't detect it.  Depending on time, I'd leave
it
> hang entire- less chance for bacteria to find its way to the meat. Given
> insufficient time, I'd either cut it into roasts and steaks and cool it
> that way, or roast the thing entire, depending on what and how I was
> intending to serve. There's a lot of heat in a cow or horse or camel
> carcass, and it takes a while to dissipate. It's also a lot easier to
> handle the cooled carcass.
>
> phlip at morganco.net
>
> Never a horse that cain't be rode,
> And never a rider that cain't be throwed.
>
> ----------
> : In a message dated 3/21/98 7:29:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> : phlip at morganco.net writes:
> :
> : << while it did cool
> :  faster, there was no appreciable flavor difference. >>
> :
> : The above statement suggests that there is "some" detectable flavor
> difference
> : in the flesh. A question....If m'lady knew that she were going to be
> serving
> : the meat to the King; and, you had ample time, which way would you cool
> the
> : carcass?
> :
> : Ras