SC - spices vs. herbs?

KKimes1066 KKimes1066 at aol.com
Mon Mar 23 13:56:09 PST 1998

>The definitions pretty much overlap, so I think it all boils down to
>custom. What does the "pros" say?

Okay, Semi-Pro opinion here....( I do have a Leather Mallet for this stuff)

Herbs- Leafy or deciduous part of a plant, (the part that dies when it
freezes)
           ie Sage, Sorrel, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary (yes the "needles" do
fall off)

Spice- Seeds, fruits or other non deciduous plant parts
          ie Cassia (cinnamon is Cassia tree bark)
              Mace (Aril covering of Nutmeg the seed of a nutmeg tree)
              Peppercorns (the seed of a vine)
              Mustard is a SPICE because it's a seed.
              Ginger ( a rhizome, you can grow a ginger plant from fresh
ginger races)

                                              My Laurel will bonk me on the
head if I'm wrong,
                                                    Percival Beumont Esq-App

p.s. Mum probably won't whack me, but I will get a good talking to if wrong.