SC - Musk LifeSavers

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Wed Mar 25 18:55:53 PST 1998

Greetings all,

The ingredients as listed on a pack of musk Life Savers are:
	CONFECTIONERY  Flavour and Colour (122) added

Bother, bother, bother.  I thought our laws were tighter than that
regarding ingredient lists !!!

According to the Additive Code Breaker:

122 Azorubine - colour. A synthetic Azo dye.  Red colour especially used
for food that are heat-treated after fermentation. The red dye is
discoloured by lactic acid bacteria.  The dye is broken down in the gut
and eliminated in the faeces. It produces adverse reactions in sensitive
people or people with aspirin allergy or asthmatics.  Some of the
reactions are nettle rash and water retention.

The products you find this in are:
blancmange, jelly crystals, most confectioneries, brown sauces,
prepackaged Swiss rolls and similar cakes, prepacked sponge pudding
mixes and marzipan.  Plus others.

To find out more: E. Traghi Marinovich and C.L. Galli  "The Placental
transfer and detection of Carmoisine and Metabolitics by HTLC combined
with a radioactivity monitor", Disease Metabolism and Reproduction in
the toxic response to drugs and other chemicals, Archives of Toxicology.
Supplement 7-312, 1984

So there we are.  Mum also searched in the book for musk but could not
find it cross-referenced to any additive.

Life Savers are produced by the Nestle Confectionery Ltd.  Trademark
Sweden. But these particular candies are "Made in Australia".

So I'm afraid I'm at a standstill.  Anyone want to take the search
further from here ......  I also would be thrilled to find a musk
substitute for Renaissance cooking ....

Meliora - PS <crunch, munch> they are pale pink and quite sweet.