SC - turkish recipe page?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Mar 26 22:09:20 PST 1998

>Dulcia Domestica -  Housemade Dessert
>
>Ingredients:
>200g   Fresh or dried dates
>50g coarsely ground nuts ( almonds ) or stone-pine Kernels
>a little bit of salt
>Honey or Red wine with honey (to stew)
>
>Instructions:
>
>Take the stones out of the dates and fill them with nuts or stone pine
>kernels.  Sprinkle a bit of salt on the filled dates and stew them in
>honey ( or honey sweetened red wine ) The dates have to be cooked in on
>low heat until their paring starts to come off. ( about 5 - 10 min. )
>
>Note: you may also fill some dates with ground pepper. suggested in the
>original it is not my idea.

Here is the original recipe, from the Flowers and Rosenbaum translation,
which I gather is the most reliable:

Stone dates, and stuff with nuts, pine-kernels, or ground pepper. Roll in
salt, fry in cooked honey, and serve.

Does anyone know what "cooked honey" is? It occurs to me that it might be
honey that had been cooked down, as you cook down a sugar syrup (except
that it is harder to do with honey without burning). That would be at a
temperature above boiling, which might explain why the recipe describes it
as "frying" ("frigis") rather than stewing or boiling.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/