SC - Beer yeast for bread

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Sun Mar 29 20:59:51 PST 1998

Some time ago somebody asked about this. I don't know if anybody
answered, but I have doneit a couple of times thus:

Dirnking Coopers Ales (Australian commercially available beer, brewed as
per homebrews) I poured most of the beer into a glass and drank it.
Because I had left the bottle nice and still in teh fridge for some time
there was a lot of yeast sediment in the bottom, but there is miles more
in the average primary fermenter. I took the bottoms of a couple of
bottles, and added about 1.5 cups of water, enough flour to make a batter
comnsistency and a teaspoon of sugar for good measuer, then kept the
whole lot warm (not hot) for a couple of days.

Then I added more flour, a dribble of oil, some nice tasty herbs, kneaded
it a little, let it rise in a tin in the sun, and put it in the oven.

Presto - beer bread.

(Variations include cooking it in a camp oven on the fire, leaving out
the herbs, rising in a sink with hot water (but keeping the loaf out of
the water,) etc etc)

Charles Ragnar