SC - Vegemite

Woeller D angeliq1 at erols.com
Mon Mar 30 05:01:39 PST 1998

I went on a local(Northern VA)search for vegemite last week. While I
didn't find it, (though I thought I'd seen it somewhere before...) I DID
find marmite in a local Giant, for about $4.50 for a 4.4 oz jar.(can
anyone describe for me again what the difference is, please?) I decided
to try it in lieu of the veg. stuff, and I am describing it here for the
edification of anyone who was wondering, but can't, or didn't want to go
get it.
It is a thin, dark brown paste that looks a lot, to me, as it sits in
the jar, like that brown paste they put in bacterial culture trays- not
the most appetizing appearance, but then, peanut butter looks pretty
gross, if you dwell on it... I should say, up front, that I like salty
stuff. It IS very salty, but tastes nice in a thin layer on breadstuff.
I tried it with bread and cheese, bread and butter, plain french bread,
hard pretzels, bagels, and spread on apples. It was pretty good each
way. It intensified the apple flavor (I used gala apples), and added a
neat, piquant counterpoint to it's sweetness (OH NO, am I starting to
sound like a wine reviewer, or somesuch?) I could definately see making
wonderful sandwiches with a thick, crusty bread, a thin layer of marmite
on one slab, butter on the other side, slices of apple, good, sharp
cheddar and thin slices of red onion. MMMMM....I thought it was also
delicious in a very thin layer on a warm bagel, with a thin layer of
neufchatel cheese spread on top. I think it would make a good
addition/substitution for anchovies in a vegetarian caesar dressing. It
also has a flavor that I wouldn't hesitate to add to stocks, soups,
sauces or marinades for a little kick. It has no meat in it ( ingredient
list: yeast extract, salt, carrot and onion extracts, spice extracts,
niacin, thiamin, folic acid and Vitamin b12- I think- the print is
reeeeally small) but it tastes a lot, to me, like a good, very salty
beef roast gravy reduced down drastically. There is 200 mg of sodium in
a 1/2 t serving, so I guess you'd want to take that into consideration
before slathering it on everything, but it really is good, and worth
trying, if you run into it. Could anyone offer some comments on the
differences with vegemite?
Hope this wasn't too much waste of space or time, but I thought surely
somebody would be inerested.
Hugs & Pinches
Angelique