SC - spices vs. herbs?

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Mar 30 09:41:39 PST 1998

HI all from AM
I am asked:

> What are some examples of medieval spices made from non-plant material?
>
> Salt would be one I imagine. Can anyone think of others? Perhaps alum?

lets see...
musk?  I know they used this as a flavoring agent in late period,
especially desserts. Salt was the one I was originally thinking of when I
said "non-plant material". I dont recall any recipes using alum as a
flavoring or preservative agent (but that doesnt mean there's any).

anyone else think of any? It's like medieval food Jeopardy! "I'll take
non-plant material Spices for $300, Alex..."

- --Anne-Marie