SC - Beer yeast for bread

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Mon Mar 30 16:38:55 PST 1998

Bear is probably quite right - active yeast which has been going beserk
brewing beer is likely to be much easier to work up than yeast which has
been asleep in the bottom of a beer bottle for six months.

But Anne, fear not. I would imagine that if you feed the yeast a bit of
sugar it will go a lot sooner than if you use a plain flour starter. And
in the bottom of each bottle I got about a tablespoon of beer, which had
about as much sediment as an espresso coffee. Also, as Ras says, I did
not keep it terribly warm - about 20 degrees C, whereas if I had kept it
something like 30 it would probably have gone somewhat faster.

But even with the sediment from one bottle, I would be inclined to give
it a fly, although I would give it a day or so to grow a decent starter.

Charles Ragnar