SC - Blancmange

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Tue Mar 31 06:41:48 PST 1998

>Can anyone out there send me the Blancmange recipe from Take a Thousand Eggs
>or More?  I am in charge of cooking the Blancmange at a feast this Saturday
>and I packed this book about a week ago since I am moving.  I need to get
>the ingredient list to the Head cook today, so I would really appreciate it.
>Thank you!
>
>Murkial
>
>Christi Redeker
>Digital Equipment Corporation
>Colorado Springs, Colorado
>719/592-4504
>christi.redeker at digital.com

Hello!  Here is the recipe you requested from the *new* edition of "Take a
Thousand Eggs or More" (which is due to be delivered by the printer in a
few days!  [Hopping up & down & chortling with glee!!])

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
http://www.alcasoft.com/renfrow/

"Harleian MS. 279 - Potage Dyvers

lxxxij.  Blamang.  Take Rys, an lese hem clene, & wasshe hem clene in flake
Water, & [th]an sethe hem in Watere, & aftyrward in Almaunde Mylke, & do
[th]er-to Brawn of [th]e Capoun aftyrward in-to a-no[th]er almaunde Mylke,
an tese it smal sumdele with a pyn, an euer as it wolt caste [th]er-to,
stere it wel; nym Sugre and caste [th]er-to, [th]en make it chargeaunt;
[th]en take blawnchyd Almaundys, an frye hem, an sette hem a-boue, whan
[th]ou seruyst ynne; & 3if [th]ou wolt, [th]ou my[3]te departe hem with a
Cawdelle Ferry y-wreten before, an [th]an serue forth.

82.  Blancmange.  Take Rice, and pick them clean, & wash them clean in warm
Water, & then seethe them in Water, & afterward in Almond Milk, & put
thereto Flesh of the Capon afterward into another almond Milk, and tease it
small somewhat with a pin, and ever as it will stick thereto, stir it well;
take Sugar and cast thereto, then make it thick; then take blanched
Almonds, and fry them, and set them above, when thou serve in; & if thou
will, thou might depart them with a Cawdelle Ferry written before,  and
then serve forth.

Harleian MS. 4016

86 Blamanger.  Take faire Almondes, and blanche hem, And grynde hem with
sugour water into faire mylke; and take ryse, and seth.  And whan they beth
wel y-sodde, take hem vppe, and caste hem to the almondes mylke, and lete
hem boile togidre til thei be thikk; And then take the brawne of a Capon,
and tese hit small, And caste thereto; and then take Sugur and salt, and
caste thereto, and serue hit forth in maner of mortrewes.

86 Blancmange.  Take fair Almonds, and blanch them, And grind them with
sugar water into fair milk; and take rice, and seethe.  And when they are
well sodden, take them up, and cast them to the almond milk, and let them
boil together till they are thick; And then take the flesh of a Capon, and
tease it small, And cast thereto; and then take Sugar and salt, and cast
thereto, and serve it forth in manner of mortrews.

 BLANCMANGE

"...That neither bacoun ne braune  blancmangere ne mortrewes
Is noither fisshe ne flesshe  but fode for a penaunte..."

This version of blancmange is intended to be served as a paste or porridge.

1 1/4 cups blanched almonds
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 cup rice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
4 1/2 cups water
1 Tablespoon butter, lard, or oil
1 1/2 cups raw chicken or capon

Fry 1/4 cup blanched almonds in butter, lard or oil until browned.  Set aside.
Grind 1 cup blanched almonds to flour in a coffee grinder or blender.  Sift
through a sieve to remove any large pieces.  Put the almond flour in a
large bowl.  Add 2 cups boiling water and 1 tablespoon sugar.  Stir.  Let
sit 5 to 10 minutes.
Add 2 cups of this almond milk to the raw chicken in a 6-quart pot.  Add
1/2 teaspoon salt.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer
until chicken is cooked, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  When
done, take up the chicken and grind it in a blender.  Return the chicken to
the pot and keep warm over low heat.
Meanwhile, in a 2-quart pot, bring 2 1/2 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to
a boil.  Add rice.  Stir.  Reduce heat and cook 15 minutes.  Remove from
heat.  Let sit 5 minutes.  Add the remaining almond milk to the rice.
Stir.  Cover and let sit 5 minutes more.
Add the rice mixture to the chicken mixture.  Stir.  Add 1 tablespoon sugar
and salt to taste.  Stir.  Pour the blancmange into a serving dish.
Garnish with fried almonds.  Serve hot.
Makes 6 cups.  Serves 6.

Variation:  Omit the fried almonds.  Serve the blancmange with a sauce of
Cawdelle Ferry. (See pp. 250-1.)"  Coypright 1997, Cindy Renfrow.