SC - Precious Gems

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Mar 31 17:44:12 PST 1998

In a message dated 3/31/98 9:03:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk writes:

<<  precious jewels? >>

This sounds interesting . :-) This is one of the areas that I have  little
knowledge in. IIRC, I remember reading references to crushing various gems to
powder and using them in "medicines" but I am unaware of their use as a food
ingredient. I would be most greatful if the list would share bibliographic
references, URLs, personal knowledge and experience in practical application.

I would ESPECIALLY be grateful for any information pointing toward  it's use
in period food items that were specifically reserved for the Caliph and his
ministers.

I have always been fascinated with the distinction between recipes set aside
for those "above the salt" and those "below the salt". IMO, many above/below
feasts in the SCA are a matter of whether you get quail or chicken. What I am
nore interested in is what part of the chicken was considered the King's
portion? (IIRC, the King's portion of chicken was the neck and the "oysters".)
In al-Baghdadi there is a tale of a man who commited the unthinkable act of
taking a piece of marrow before the  caliph had tasted it and then not showing
up for work the next day.

To shorten this lengthy post (my apologies to all!) What dishes were reserved
for Royalty? 2) What ideas does anyone have about the reason a particular item
was reserved?

(e.g.; IMHO, the chicken neck was reserved for the King because it was the
most tender part of the bird.It is also damn tasty and I still buy chicken
necks whenever they are available. Cooked properly they literally melt in your
mouth with a burst of flavor that is absolutely astounding!  For those who
have not tasted this kingly dish  cooked to perfection the meat can literally
be sucked off the bones. Then the spinal column is sucked out, it melt's
exquisitely across your tongue making a perfect counterpoint to the intensity
of flavor that had come before!!! This is a very similar experience to that
experienced by someone breaking  a chicken leg and or thigh bone after a
period of long slow cooking.and sucking the marrow out   :-))

Anyway, folks, what i am trying tom say here is what was "noble" food and how
did it differ from that available to the servants?

al-Sayyid Ras al-Zib (Who has a gemstone waiting for just the right dish to be
served to the right person.:-))