SC - (Fwd) Onions Eaten Raw

Jeanne Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Mon Mar 2 13:25:49 PST 1998

- ------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
From:          "Jeanne Stapleton" <jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu>
To:            sca-cook at ansteorra.org
Date:          Mon, 2 Mar 1998 14:23:08 -700 MST
Subject:       Onions Eaten Raw

Hi list:

I'm going to have to see about getting changed back from digest
soonest, because I never get around to reading all of the messages.

Anyway, I was reading an old discussion about whether whole
onions were eaten raw, "just like apples".  My stepfather grew
up doing that, in Illinois, and he did prefer the spicy ones.

I've also seen various references to the Roman foot soldier receiving
onions as part of his daily food allotment.  I really kind of doubt
that he stopped and parboiled his onions in camp before eating them.
(Although I've got no hard evidence that it was never done, either.
:-))  I think that there may have been more of an attitude in earlier
times that onions were truly a *vegetable*, one that kept and
travelled well, and not a *seasoning*, as we see them.  Most of us
don't consume onions in large servings in order to get in our
vegetable requirement because we have other options, and our tastes
have changed.

Sorry for the long time gap, but onions are still a good topic.  :-)
It just put me in mind of talking to redacters at a recent class about
sticking as close to the literal description as possible for best
results (that's sometimes tough enough to figure out as it is); I had
a great many nice ladies who automatically started out a redaction
with onions by parboiling or sauteeing their onions as a modern
response.

Depending on my audience, heck, sometimes I'll even put diced
onions in my spaghetti sauce instead of sauteeing them with meat.

Berengaria
Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne, OP
Barony of Caerthe
Kingdom of the Outlands

jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
University of Denver