SC - soap

Karen Lyons-McGann dvkld.dev at mhs.unc.edu
Tue Mar 3 13:05:28 PST 1998

Hmm, I hadn't been reading lately, but in trying to catch up, I see posts
from Sunday about soap making.  I've had these instructions for several
years, though I haven't tried them yet.  The quantities look more
manageable for a beginner than the version I'm responding to that wants 6
and a half pounds of rendered fat.   And look, doesn't Elina of Beckenham
sound SCA? Evidently she's got a book and everything.  How about that?
Anne

- ----------------------------------------------------
SOAP   SOAP   SOAP   SOAP

Since I have posted my request about soap making, I have gotten several
requests to forward the information. I have continued investigating on my
own and here is some info to get those of you started.

Condensed from Soapmaking for the Beginner by Elina of Beckenham

You will need a glass or ceramic mixing bowl of medium size. A wooden
spoon... stainless steel will do in a pinch. Under no circumstances
should
aluminum be used for anything in this process. Lye dissolves aluminum.
You
need a measuring cup. That's it for hardware.

Lard can be found at the grocery store next to the Crisco. A one pound
box
of lard will make two batches of soap. Lye is next to the Drano. One can
will be plenty.

The only other thing needed is a mold. A Pyrex dish will be fine.

1. Measure 4 oz. lukewarm water into the Pyrex measuring cup. You need to
use something that can take the sudden heat. Carefully add 2 tablespoons
of
lye. Stir. Let sit.

2. Heat about half a pound of the lard (8 oz.) until liquid. Pour into
mixing bowl.

3. Let both cool down before they are mixed to about body temp. Check the
lye by feeling the OUTSIDE of the Pyrex cup.

4. When they have cooled, slowly add the lye to lard and stir constantly
until step 5.

5. When the goop has reached the consistency of sour cream (this will
take a
while of constant stirring - keep stirring until it does this. I played a
computer game), add any colors (food coloring ok) or perfumes, spices, or
whatever. Then pour into your mold.

6. Cover with a towel and let sit for 24 hours.

7. Uncover after 24 hours and unmold on the 2nd or 3rd day. Let the soap
sit
or cure for 3-4 weeks.

I did this and as long as you keep the stirring up until the sour cream
consistancy, it will turn out!

OTHER STUFF TO DO WITH THE GOOP
Butter soap - Good for the skin instead of lard use butter
Castille soap - Replace 3/4 the lard with 6oz. olive oil
Rose soap - Use rose water, not tap and throw in a handful of dried
petals
Orange soap - Grate an orange peel and throw in a tablespoon or two
Cinnamon soap - One tablespoon ground cinnamon

*** I also found a craft gopher that supply info and more recipes can be
found. The address is gopher.crafts-council.pe.ca

Enjoy!