SC - pasty

Christina van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Wed Mar 4 09:20:38 PST 1998

_In re_ pasties, herewith the ditty my Cornish grandmother and great
aunts used to recite:

Pastry rolled out like a plate, piled with turmuts, tates and mate,
roll it up and bake like fate and that's a Cornish pasty.

In reality, they used to say that you could make a pasty out of
anything (like the fish one mentioned earlier).  We used to have jam
and/or fruit ones, for example.  In savoury ones, I always had the
inpression that turnips (turmuts) were more highly valued than the
spuds.  And watch them shudder if you put peas in!!

Cairistiona