SC - Apician Web site...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 5 23:27:59 PST 1998

> Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 09:36:25 -0700 (MST)
> From: Mary Morman <memorman at oldcolo.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Apicius
>
> nice site!  but looing at the pictues, i thought that at roman feasts the
> diners did not recline lengthwise to the table, but widthwise (i.e. not
> with the whole length of the couch alongside the table but with just the
> head of the couch next to the table)  any wise romans out there to help me
> out with this?

You're right, under normal circumstances. Usually there would be more
guests, nine in fact, three on a side, so there would only be room for
the couches to be head-on. I've seen illustrations indicating they were
sometime splced diagonally, so as to give greater reach to the right, or
eating, hand of each diner... .

A couple more comments: I don't think you will find any references to
roast lamb being accompanied by small new potatoes anywhere in Apicius.
Also, togas were not worn while reclining at prandium...not only are
there enough specific references to make it clear they were shed before
reclining, but I will add two cents worth of my own experience with
wearing a toga...it's almost impossible to lie down, and then get up,
without seriously disarranging your toga...frightening to think wars
were probably fought to provide slaves for services like this.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com