Fw: SC - translation please-

James Prescott james at nucleus.com
Sun Mar 8 22:14:25 PST 1998

Thorvald here:

At 19:13 -0800 1998-03-08, Alderton, Philippa wrote:

> : : : : :15.  Et puis prendras de ces machès
> : : : : :16.  Et de ces petis oiselès:
> : : : : :17.  Selon ce que tu en auras,
> : : : : :18.  Le pasté m'en billeteras.
> : : :
> : : :  15. And then take of the Lamb's lettuce
> : : :  16. And of these small birds
> : : :  17.According to that which you have
> : : :  18. Seat them in the pastie

The modern "mâche", meaning "corn salad or lambs' lettuce",
makes little culinary sense here (salad greens in a meat pie?).
Also, one needs to account for the French appearing in the plural.
Also, the old spelling of "mâche" would probably have been "masche".
Also, the OED has its earliest citation (1693) reading "a sort of
little Sallet..seldom..brought before any noble Company".

I suggest that one should look further than lambs' lettuce for
a translation.  Try the Old French dictionaries in your local
university library.  Even 'tidbits', which was an inspired guess
but probably off the mark, is much better than lambs' lettuce.

> : : : : :23.  Se tu le veulx de bonne guise,
> : : : : :24.  De verjus la grappe y soit mise,
> : : : : :25.  D'un bien poy de sel soit poudré,
> : : : : :26.  Si en sera plus savouré.
> : : :
> : : :  23. Oneself it wishes of good pleasing
> : : :  24. Of verjuice the grape there be placed
> : : :  25. Of one good (?poy?- measure?) of salt powder
> : : :  26. If it will be more savory

The phrase "un bien poy de" appears in Viandier as the Old French
spelling for the more modern "un bien peu de".  In Viandier the
meaning would be "just a little salt".

> : : : : :27.  Se tu veulx que du pasté taste
> : : : : :28.  Fay mettre des oeufs en la paste;
> : : : : :29.  Les croutes, un poi rudement,
> : : : : :30.  Faictes de flour de pur froument,
> : : :
> : : : 27. Oneself you wish the pastie tasty
> : : : 28. Make placed the eggs within the pastry
> : : : 29. The crusts, one pea harshly
> : : : 30. Make of the flour of pure grain.

Similar misinterpretation.  The phrase "un poi rudement" is an old
variant spelling for the more modern "un peu rudement".

Making these two spelling adjustments should make your translations
go much more smoothly.