SC - Gulf Wars & a question

cassie cassie at sally.nas.nasa.gov
Mon Mar 9 16:02:38 PST 1998

LrdRas wrote:

> In a message dated 3/9/98 11:52:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com writes:
>
> << I've been reading the Roman recipe website and wondered if liquamen could
>  be substituted with nuoc muam sauce?  I know we've discussed stuff like this
>  before.
>
>  Yers,
>
>  Gunthar >>
>
> I always sub Thai fish sauce or a similar Far Eastern fish sauce for
> "liquamen". I do not know how close actual manufacturing methods are to the
> Roman stuff but, IMHO, such a substitution is far more justified than water or
> broth. :-)

A couple of years ago for a feast one of the course was all Roman. Every
dish I decided to do listed liquamen as an ingredient. I decided only
to use liquamen in only one of the dishes, all the other I just used an
appropriate amount of salt. I made each recipe both ways, with salt and
with
liquamen. I determined that due to the strong flavors from other
ingredients in
these dishes, that the difference in taste was negligible. The reason I
decided to
use salt was because of potential food allergies and a large number of
vegetarians who usually attend our feasts. The dish I decided to use the
liquamen was a fish dish.

The translation of Apicius by Rosenbaum and Flowers has a "quick" recipe
for
liquamen. I made it, it smells pretty bad when its cooking.

Euriol

- --
Cassandra Baldassano
cassie at nas.nasa.gov
Sterling Software                      (650) 604-4444 or (800)
331-8737
Supporting:                            M/S
258-6
Systems Control                        NASA Ames Research
Center
Database Administration                Moffett Field, CA
94305-1000