SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #640

Karen Lyons-McGann dvkld.dev at mhs.unc.edu
Tue Mar 10 07:51:35 PST 1998

>source, the Dames of Mexico purchase chocolate compounded with sugar
>as one would any other sweatmeat at shops in the streets.

Does it say purchased and ate, or just purchased with no indication of
what the Dames of Mexico did with the product? Chocolate compounded with
sugar sounds a lot like the cakes of chocolate and sugar still sold which
are crushed and finally beaten into hot milk to make cocoa.   They are
hard as rocks, and only someone desperate for a chocolate fix would think
to eat them as candy.  (Trust me on this, and don't ask for details.)

Anne