SC - Palladius, tamarind, buckwheat, soap

Mon Mar 16 11:17:55 PST 1998

> Where is the end of the recipe for Buckwheat Cakes, after forming them
> into
> pancakes? The cooking procedure, time, and temperature is not given.
>
> Arlene Silikovitz
> West Orange, NJ

Since no special cooking instructions were with the recipe, I assume the
instructions are covered by the term pancake.  Pan or griddle cakes are
cooked in a frying pan or on a griddle, usually at medium or lower heat,
depending on the heat source.  Heat the pan, then lightly oil it.  Let the
oil warm then pour some of the batter into the pan to form a pancake.  Cook
until the outer edge sets up then turn and complete the cooking.  I favor
cooking just below the smoking point of the oil.

I haven't tried this recipe, so I don't know how to tell if the yeast rising
pancake is setting up properly.  The following comments may not apply to
this recipe.

Chemical rising pancakes develop bubbles in the batter which work their way
up to the uncooked top of the pancake.  When a bubble breaks and the hole it
makes fills with batter, the cake is still under done.  When the bubble
breaks and leaves a hole, the batter has set up.  The outer edges of the
cake are thinner and tend to set up faster, so turning the cake helps even
the cooking of the center of the cake and helps prevent burning.

David suggests serving them with butter and a sprinkling of brown sugar.
I'd probably grab for the maple syrup.

Bear