SC - Galingale

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Mar 16 13:57:38 PST 1998

> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:27:02 -0000
> From: "Yeldham, Caroline S" <csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk>
> Subject: SC - Spice query (was recipe with long spice list)

> BTW John Hervey gives the The 'Fromond' List of Plants of c. 1500, a list of
> plants grown in England (including artichokes!) and also including
> galingale, which did surprise me, as I assumed it was imported.  I'd be
> interested in comments.
>
> Caroline

Danger, Will Robinson!!!

Er, what I really mean to say is that the European galingale is a
tuberous plant with knobby roots, named for its vague resembance to the
Indonesian plant rhizome, the galingale that was used as a spice in
period...the European plant that is known as galingale in English is
called, IIRC, souchet in French.

I will locate and provide a more specific reference when I can...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com