SC - "I lived... I've got to find out what to do now!"

Gedney, Jeff Gedney.J at phd.com
Tue Mar 17 10:04:29 PST 1998

On Tuesday, March 17, 1998 10:35 AM, Philip & Susan Troy
[SMTP:troy at asan.com] wrote:
> kat wrote:
>
> > btw, some advice, if anyone's got any to spare <g>...  Though it is
sadly normal in our
> > area for the kitchen crew plus autocrat to be the core of the
cleanup crew, the incidences
> > of early hall-fleeing were much higher than normal this year.  So
much so, in fact, that
> > not one of the kitchen crew were able to make an early escape, and
we didn't make it out
> > of the hall quite by the time we were supposed to.  I was wondering
if anyone out there
> > has ever found a tactful yet successful way of remedying such a
situation; and if so,
> > would you be willing to share?
>
> A sign-up sheet at the troll works pretty well, usually...have the

When ever I autocrat, I judge it MY responsibility to get commitments in
advance for both hall AND Kitchen cleanup crews. I maintain them as
separate requirements. It is also my job as autocrat to follow up on
these commitments and find replacements as needed BEFORE the particular
shifts requiring such replacements. I also make them aware of the shift
schedule Before the event, and remind them of it every time the event is
discussed. (Also how I staff Troll, and Hall Cleanup)That is how I
autocrat. Cleanup should NEVER be left to chance.
Here is a sample Kitchen crew shift schedule:

3:00 - 4:30  First Pot scrubbing shift - one Person (keeps used pots
cleaned and ready for re-use as needed)
5:00 - 6:00  (First remove served) - Second Pot scrubbing shift - one
Person (keeps used pots cleaned and ready for re-use as needed)
6:00 - 7:30  (during feast service) Dinner Crew - 3 persons ( Two at a
time - in remove rotations so they each get to sit part of the feast )
keep the serving dishes and pots ready as needed
7:30 - done (Kitchen Cleanup) 4 persons Final Cleanup

This way, the kitchen is generally done and the doors closed on it by
9:30, and they all get to play.

Feast cooks are not allowed to clean up. Cooks are the Feastocrats
Responsibility, Cleanup is mine.

I know that some kitchens are not conducive to this level of
organization, but I try always to have kitchen cleaning in process as
early as possible, and I never lump it in with the kitchen staff's
duties or hall cleanup.

> I did an EK 12th Night feast a few years back, and I was more or less
> forcibly ejected from the kitchen by Sir Timothy of Arindale, then
(and
> currently) Crown Prince of the East, along with several squires, who
> attacked the pots and pans with military enthusiasm. This has always
> been one of the formative experiences for my attitude about the
peerage.

Yeah, I've seen this sort of behavior, as well. Seeing the people who
stay to clean up a hall always restores my faith in my fellow Scadian.

Brandu