SC - translation please-

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Mar 17 20:03:09 PST 1998

This has probably been beaten to death as far as the list is concerned, so
I'm sending it private email.  You wrote:

>Spelling will very often (in fact almost invariably) differ from
>manuscript to manuscript, from year to year and from place to place,
>but, as I say, such a variation in a single manuscript is comparatively
>rare, as rules for spelling in the Middle Ages definitely did exist, if
>somewhat different from ours.

This does not fit my experience.  My favorite example of period spelling
variations is out of _Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books_, with Schyconys,
Chykonys, chekons, and chekonys all in one recipe.  My memory of Chiquart
(I was working from the French edition Scully published in _Vallesia_) is
that a word mentioned several times in one paragraph would usually be
spelled consistantly, but if it then came up a couple pages later might be
spelled differently.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook