SC - Re: Viking food etc

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Fri Mar 20 01:39:08 PST 1998

Linseed was mentioned

I hope nobody's proposing to eat that stuff?  Cricket bats, yes, people, no.

I've fed 50 to 100 people for 2 weeks out of a period kitchen (Kentwell Hall
if you know it) - 5 charcoal burners, two brick ovens and an open fire about
8' long with full fire furniture.  It worked best with about 6 reasonably
experienced cooks plus a couple of spit boys, but I usually ended up cooking
very little myself.  Exhausting anyway.

For those who don't know, Kentwell Hall is a Tudor manor house in Suffolk
(England) which does a first person living history re-enactment involving c
500 people every summer, the main event is for 3 weeks and then there are
events over some of the summer weekends.  I ran the Tudor kitchen for 3
years.

Caroline