SC - Potluck feasts / was SC-kitchens

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Fri Mar 20 23:50:05 PST 1998

> I have seen the same thing here in Bryn Gwlad. Whenever there is a pot
> luck most of the food is modern.... delicious but modern.  Next year, I
> plan to offer a couple of books as prizes to those that bring period
> foods to the pot luck!  Hopefully, that will work as an incentive.

I find that something helps encourage folks to bring medieval food is ME
bringing medieval food and very prominently labelling it as such.

Often folks assume they dont like something, even if they've never had it.
They see a nice mushroom tart on the table and they like *that*, without
knowing its period.

So, I make a "table tent" to go next to my potluck contribution, out of an
index card, folded so it stands up. I name the dish, the period source (ie
14th century French, 16th century Italian), list the ingredients for the
allergy aware and make sure my name is on it, so they can ask for the
recipe when they realize they like it! :)

Also, I've found that holding a class shortly before a potluck where I give
out handouts listing several potluck friendly medieval dishes with
recipies, as well as a list of period type foods one can pick up at the
local grocery store or deli  increases the number of period contributions
significantly.

- --Anne-Marie