SC - An invitation & request

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Mar 21 10:36:13 PST 1998

At 12:28 PM -0800 3/20/98, James L. Matterer wrote:
>Greetings fellow cooks,
>   I'd like to once again invite all of you to visit my site dedicated
>to period cookery and to ask a VERY special request! I'm trying to make
>my site as SCA-friendly as possible, and am seeking contributions from
>other SCA cooks to feature there. If you have redactions of period
>recipes you'd like to share, PLEASE consider contributing them. They'll
>be presented quite prominently with as much information & comments as
>you'd like to include.

1. Very nice site.

2. You are welcome to use any of the Miscellany recipes, provided they are
complete and credited, but why not just link to recipes other people have
up instead of duplicating them?

3. I have some reservations about your "Byzantine recipes." To wit:

Primus, I distrust the "Modern Ethnic Food with the potatoes replaced by
turnips" approach to period cooking.

Secondus, as a reason for such distrust, consider the white sauce in the
Moussaka recipe. I don't know of any medieval recipe that makes a flour/fat
roux and then adds liquid to give a thick sauce--do you? Eliminating New
World ingredients simply eliminates the changes that are easily identified.
The existence of the New World ingredients is evidence that traditional
cooking changes over time--so why should one assume that the New World
ingredients are the only change?

Tertius, you do not mention Anthimus, which is (I think) the closest we
have to a real Byzantine source--see the couple of Anthimus recipes in the
_Miscellany_.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/