SC - OT, places

Mon Mar 23 11:16:20 PST 1998

The Kumans are a nomadic Turkish people who conquered southern Russia and
Walachia in the 11th Century.  They established a state along the Black Sea
until the Mongols rolled over them in the 13th Century.  Some were absorbed
into the Mongol Empire and others fled to Bulgaria and Hungary.

The Seklers I don't have anything to hand on, but the location and timing
suggest they were one of the nomadic groups forced out of the Caucasus by
the Pechenegs (9th Century if I remember correctly).  Possibly related to
the Magyars.

Bear