SC - turkish recipe page?

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Fri Mar 27 06:02:46 PST 1998

<snip>

>Here is the original recipe, from the Flowers and Rosenbaum translation,
>which I gather is the most reliable:
>
>Stone dates, and stuff with nuts, pine-kernels, or ground pepper. Roll in
>salt, fry in cooked honey, and serve.
>
>Does anyone know what "cooked honey" is? It occurs to me that it might be
>honey that had been cooked down, as you cook down a sugar syrup (except
>that it is harder to do with honey without burning). That would be at a
>temperature above boiling, which might explain why the recipe describes it
>as "frying" ("frigis") rather than stewing or boiling.
>
>David/Cariadoc
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

Hello!  Here is Vehling's translation for comparison:

"Dulcia Domestica Et Melcae

Home-made Sweets  Dulcia Domestica
#294  Little home confections (which are called dulciaria) are made thus:
little palms or (as they are ordinarily called) dates are stuffed - after
the seeds have been removed - with a nut or with the nuts and ground
pepper, sprinked with salt on the outside and are candied in honey and
served."

Louise Sugar asks:

>does honey caramelize when cooked?    if so it sounds like taffy
>apples/dates to me  :D

I've done honey candy (see Pynade in the Harleian MSS.), and you *can* get
the honey to a taffy state (either soft ball or hard ball).
I've also cooked the honey longer, and thrown in some nuts (a few days ago,
just for grins)The result was candied nuts that were crisp when dried on a
baking sheet for a few minutes.  Caveat:  I neglected to blanch the nuts
first & the tannins leached out, making the end product bitter.

HTH,

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net