SC - Solar Cooking in period????

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Fri Mar 27 08:42:07 PST 1998

- ---L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt <liontamr at ptd.net> wrote:

> Hi Folks!
> No, I have not lost my gourd: It's a serious question. Are there any
> references to solar cooking in period?

Aoife,
I believe there are plenty of incidental references -- most dried
meats / fruits / fish which were not also being smoked, for example.

Yeah, technically some of the fish were more air&freeze dried than
solar-dessicated ... but even in Scandinavian / Icelandic regions
there are some solar effects.

Recent mention on this list of the North African / Arabic "eggs in a
sealed pot with onionskins" I believe described a "traditional" as
opposed to an "original" method of preparation. (check prior traffic
for details: essentially, sealed pot with water,eggs,onions)

I'm not sufficiently well-read in the surviving cookbooks / recipes,
beyond what I've gleaned from watching here, to speak at greater
length.

> Curiosity killed the cat, etc....
> Aoife

Mwrowrrr. <purr>

===
Adios -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Var.e-mail: kihe at rocketmail.com,KiheBard at aol.com,MikeCBaker at aol.com