SC - spices vs. herbs?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Mar 28 00:37:14 PST 1998

Anne-Marie said:

>The strict definition is that if its from a leaf, its an herb, and if its
>from bark, seeds, flowers, or a non-plant material etc its a spice.

What are some examples of medieval spices made from non-plant material?

Salt would be one I imagine. Can anyone think of others? Perhaps alum?

Thank you Anne-Marie and others for these answers to my question of
what determines whether something is a spice or an herb. While it was
the organization of my files which first brought this question to mind,
I am also interested in medieval thought on such things.

I can also tell from the varied answers that the answer wasn’t as obvious
as I was afraid it would be.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net