SC - Potluck feasts / was SC-kitchens

Karen Lyons-McGann dvkld.dev at mhs.unc.edu
Mon Mar 30 07:00:18 PST 1998

******
>I find that something helps encourage folks to bring medieval food is ME
>bringing medieval food and very prominently labelling it as such.

This is one of the things I try to do in Bryn Gwlad with the items I
bring to pot lucks. Usually I print the original recipe in large type
on a sheet of paper along with the redaction. I give both the original
source and where the redaction can be found,
******

Food for thought:

A label is good, but as for all the other documentation, be careful not
to over do it!  Somone will say the above described isn't much
documentation. From a newbie's perspective, it's a daunting thought that
one must research a dish and type up a page on it as well as shopping and
cooking.  Are you discouraging rank beginners by giving the impression
that just bringing something they think is period but they don't know for
sure, isn't good enough?  Newbies are being assaulted with so much info
and impressions that some could just come up with this upon seeing a
table full of modern stuff and the occaisional highly documented period
dish, and nothing in-between.   Perhaps this mis-conception of just how
authentic the dish must be and how much proof is necessary contributes to
the volume of modern dishes.

Anne-Marie was kind enough to send along her list of ready-made stuff
that could be considered not modern, if not period exactly, and her set
of easy recipes.    It's like babysteps to period cooking, and anyone
wanting to encourage more period cooking should see hers or work up
something similar on their own.

Anne