SC - European Grain/Legume combo?

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Mar 30 10:08:25 PST 1998

HI all from Anne-Marie
Konstanza asks us:
> I am searching for any documented European dish that combined a grain
(i.e.
> cereal grass) product with a legume (e.g. beans, peas) product  -- the
> trusty vegetarian "complete protein" combo.

I know of no European dishes that combine a grain and a legume. Doenst help
that there are so few non-meat containing dishes to start with...

I would recommend a nice medieval frumenty (barley or cracked wheat) served
with a pleasant cretonne of new peas (pea soup with herbs) or a benes
yfryed (fried beans with onions...canned garbanzos can work, but my
favorite is the small canned fava that I find in my local middle eastern
market). All these recipes occur frequently through the medieval
English/French corpus.

I can supply already recosntrcuted recipes if you want them, but since
you've said you'd like to do this as an A/S entry, you should do it
yourself! :)
- --AM