SC - Re: pasties

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Mar 2 23:33:44 PST 1998

At 2:37 PM -0600 3/1/98, Tim Allison wrote:
>You mention making pasties with ground beef instead of mushroom. In what
>way do these differ from the traditional Cornish pasty-which I certainly
>thought was period?
>Caroline
>
> Carol Mitchell

1. What are the defining characteristics of the "traditional Cornish
pasty?" If it is simply some filling contained in some crust, that is
certainly period--but I think of it as more narrowly defined than that. If,
for example, the definition includes potatoes in the filling, then it
cannot be earlier than Columbus and is quite likely to be out of our period
entirely.

2. What is your reason for thinking it is period?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/