SC - Substitutions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 3 15:23:42 PST 1998

> Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 13:38:47 EST
> From: Seton1355 <Seton1355 at aol.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Substitutions

>   I just thought of anouther thing:  Sour salt (look in gormet shops - it's
> not expensive but I haven't seen it on regular grocery shelves for a while)
> Anyway.  It looks like rock cany except it's sour.  Melt some on a cup of
> boiling water, then add the quantity of "lemon juice" you need.
> Good luck, Phillipa Seton

I could be wrong, but I believe sour salt is citric acid, and is used in
some pickling processes, and also was, at one time, I'm told, used by
Jews in cleaning their dairy dishes, at times when soap was primarily
made with animal fats.

If sour salt is citric acid, though, the possibility exists that people
who react badly to lemons may have a similar problem, in some cases.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com