SC - Re: Frumenty for the Masses, Revisited

kat kat at kagan.com
Tue Mar 3 17:31:05 PST 1998

Once again, Anne-Marie comes to my rescue ;-)...

> Hi all from Anne-Marie
> Kat asks about preparing large amounts of frumenty....

> What we did was two days before the event, cook the barley in the > broth and milk with the saffron. When the barley was perfectly done, > we stirred in the raw beaten egg yolks. We then sealed the slimey
> mess in boil in the bag seal-a-meals (NOT ZIPLOCKS!!!).

Not Ziplocs because of the danger of leakage, I assume?

> The bags
> were then stored in coolers with ice until they were ready to be
> served.

Did you let the cooked grain cool to room temp. first before stirring the raw beaten eggs in?

> Right before mealtime on site, we heated up large kettles of water
> using monster propane cookstoves, like you get at Costco up here.
> The bags of frumenty were dropped in the boiling water bath. The
> raw egg cooked as the stuff heated up. You could tell they were
> done because the cold solid mass of barley became soft and pliable
> within the bag. The bags were removed from the boiling water bath,
> cut open, and the frumenty dumped into a large serving dish.

> Tadaaaa! no burning, no scorching, no gloppy grey mess. And most
> tasty with a big scoopful of Funges (stewed mushrooms and leeks
> with spices) on top.  Yum yum yum!

Just out of curiosity, what seasonings do you use in your Fungys?  I'm using saffron, pepper and a little cubeb (and I'm using homemade veggie broth rather than chicken stock this time, since I've had veggie RSVPs); but I'm open to other varieties as well...  :-)  and I LOOOOOOVE this dish; so any excuse to make a "test batch" for dinner...

Thanks again!

	- k