SC - Cooking Wine

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Mar 8 17:04:14 PST 1998

In a message dated 3/8/98 12:44:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mtraber at email.msn.com writes:

<< I have this really expensive bad habit of refusing to cook with anything I
 wouldn't serve to a mundane VIP. >>

This is definitely NOT a bad habit.  One should never cook with anything that
they would not drink.  One of my main irritations as a liquor store employee
is a customer who comes in and asks for a "cooking" wine.  If a cook is
willing to use inferior ingredients in a recipe and then serve a better wine,
they are, IMHO, not worth their salt.  At the least they have no concept of
the art of cookery as tool to be used toward the purpose of engendering
physical stimulation that can be described weakly as "oral orgasm."

The very thought of using inferior wine in a dish tells me that a person has
no pride in their cookery as an art and certainly s/he does not have a trained
palette but rather views the service of a meal as a side line to appease
hunger rather than a potential tool to stimulate the senses of pleasure.  If a
cook is willing to use a four dollar generic Burgundy in a recipe that calls
for "claret" instead of a far superior Bordeaux or Beaujolais, it would be a
kindness for their guests if they ordered in pizza instead.

Ras