SC - Lamb's Quarters

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Mar 9 14:03:47 PST 1998

In a message dated 3/9/98 8:25:35 AM Eastern Standard Time, liontamr at ptd.net
writes:

<< Lamb's Ears, perhaps? Ras, would that modern "forage" be period for this
 recipe and locale,  >>

Chenopodium album is the scientific name for this plant which is also known as
Lamb's Ears.  It is my view that this plant is 'period."  Although it is found
as a common weed in the USA, it is a native of Europe and was used as both a
potherb and a source for grain with a taste somewhat similar to buckwheat.
Young growth 6 to 10 inches tall is eaten raw or cooked like spinach.  The raw
seeds are also tasty.

Given the weedy nature of the plant, it was most probably more of a peasant
fare than noble fare but I am convinced that this is the plant that is
intended to be used in this French recipe.  Unfortunately I do not have
supporting evidence to prove it.  On the bright side, there seems to be no
supporting evidence to suggest that the word translated as "Lamb's quarters"
was used to denote any other plant.  In a gray area such as this is, in
combination with the fact that C. album is a European native and very edible,
I would be inclined to use it.

Ras