SC - frozen pomegranate seeds

S.Albert salbert at polarnet.com
Mon Mar 9 22:45:03 PST 1998

Crystal of the Westermark asked:

>Help, please. The feast I was planning did not happen. I have two gallon
>sized ziplocks (TM) of frozen pomegranate seeds. Any suggestions on what
>I can do with them that would not be expensive? I hate to throw them
>away, but as they will leak on thawing I don't want to just put the
>seeds out with the fruit bowls for people to nibble on (people get so
>grumpy about stains on garb).
>
>If there is a big dish I could make I
>could feed people at the upcoming Western Crown Tourney.

Oh, Crystal, had I your problem. I'm out of fresh juice and the local store
is having problems getting the Knudsen juice (next best substitute I've
found) which they just got for me last summer!

Following is a Spanish recipe we found when doing a feast some years ago. I
make no claims of it being "in period," but it's very tasty. It has an odd
kind of pinkish gray color, but nobody seemed to mind.

Morgana
Pork with Pomegranate Sauce

1.5 pounds pork loin, cut into 6 steaks
1 tbs. shortening
olive oil
1 onion, chopped
seeds of 1-2 pomegranates
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 c half-and-half, room temperature
salt and pepper

Saute pork in large sillet in the shortening and small amount of olive oil
until golden brown on both sides. Remove and set aside. In the same oil and
shortening mixture, cook onions until carmelized. Add the seeds, juice,
wine and half-and-half and reduce over medium-low heat until thick. Return
pork to skillet, turning so it is well coated with sauce. Heat through,
adding a small amount of water if sauce has thickened too much. Salt and
pepper to taste.

We used pork tenderloins, sliced thin, to feed more people at feast. It's
good with various kinds of grains.

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     salbert at polarnet.com
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     I will not expose the ignorance of the
and a decrescent argent.        *          faculty. --Bart Simpson