SC - Hummus and falafel

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Mar 12 12:24:50 PST 1998

At 9:32 AM -0600 3/12/98, Decker, Terry D. wrote:
>I took note of a comment in an earlier message that there is no period
>documentation for hummus.
>
>I am considered serving hummus and falafel as vegetable dishes in a future
>feast.  I would appreciate any input about the history of these two dishes.
>
>Bear

"Hummus" means "chickpeas," and is a period ingredient. Hummus bi Tahini is
the familiar chickpea dip, and I have not found it in any period cookbook.
Sesame seeds are common in period Islamic cooking, but I don't think I have
seen anything that looks like tahini.

There are, however, period dips, or things that work as dips, of which my
favorite (also vegetarian) is badinjan muhassa; the recipe is in the
(webbed) _Miscellany_.

Is falafel made from chickpea flour? If so, you might want to consider
"counterfeit Isfiriya of Garbanzos" in _Manuscrito Anonimo_ as the closest
period equivalent, and try working on that instead. The recipe is:

Counterfeit (Vegetarian) Isfîriyâ of Garbanzos

Pound some garbanzos, take out the skins and grind them into flour. And
take some of the flour and put into a bowl with a bit of sourdough and some
egg, and beat with spices until it's all mixed. Fry it as before in thin
cakes, and make a sauce for them.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/