SC - Recipes x3

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Mar 15 21:33:26 PST 1998

At 2:08 AM -0500 3/13/98, Korrin S DaArdain wrote:
>M'Lords and M'Ladys,
>	I thought people might enjoy these.

>---------
>	Pork Pie
>	From "To the King's Taste" by Lorna Sass; Printed in The
>Oregonian Newspaper Food Day Mar 10, 1998.
>	Legend has it that a false crust was baked on top of an empty pie
>shell. Just before it was served, live birds were placed under the pastry
>lid, Our "smale bridde" will have a different fate: it will be cooked and
>eaten.
>	1 10-inch uncooked pie shell
>	1 Cornish hen, quail or squab, cut into about 8 pieces
>	1/2 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
>	2 tb vegetable oil
>	1 lb lean ground pork
>	2 eggs
>	1/4 cup raisins
>	10 dried prunes, pitted and minced
>	1 ts firmly packed light brown sugar
>	1/2 ts ground ginger
>	3/4 ts salt
>	Scant 1/2 ts saffron
>	1/2 ts ground anis
>	1 ts ground fennel seeds
>	1/2 ts ground cloves
>	Bake pie pastry at 425 deg for 10 minutes. Let cool. Dredge
>pieces of fowl in seasoned flour and brown in oil until golden. Combine
>pork, eggs, rasins, prunes, brown sugar, ginger salt, saffron, anise,
>fennel and cloves. Spread about a third of the mixture on the pie pastry.
>Then
>distribute the pecies of fowl evenly on top of it. Use the remaining pork
>mixture to cover the fowl. Bake at 375 deg for 35 minutes or until pork
>is brown throughout and meat thermometer stuck in middle of pie registers
>160 degees

Does anyone know what the original of this recipe is? I thought _To the
King's Taste_ was from _Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books_, but I can't
find anything very close. The nearest seems to be "Tartes de Chare," but if
that is what she is using she has altered it extensively.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/