SC - Palladius, tamarind, buckwheat, soap

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Mon Mar 16 10:17:14 PST 1998

Hi, Cairistiona here.

1.  Deidre, tamarind is the fruit of a tree.  It looks rather like a
large runner bean, and is distinctly sour to taste.  It is usually
marketed dried, sometimes with the seeds removed.  You soak it in
boiling water and then strain, using the liquid to give sharpness to
the food.  I've usually used it in Indonesian cookery, although I
have also seen it in Thai, Indian and Filipino stuff (hot and sour
soup - yum! - if OOP).  My lord saw the trees growing on Zanzibar a
couple of years ago.  I don't know if they are period.  I assume
they would not figure in European known-world food, at any rate.  Ras?
Elizabeth?  Someone??

2.  Ras, how can you imagine I would think that 1420 is OOP?  Howl.
No, it was pre-period I was thinking of.  Martial is a little earlier
than we can usually get away with.  It was merely that as a humanist
I could probably explain away trying to re-create these things, as
some of the humanists of my persona's day had their own version of
the SCA, trying to re-create classical Rome.

This copy of Palladius was printed around the turn of the century, by
the Early English Text Society.  Will get the details to you.  Since
there have been a few requests, I will post some stuff when I bring
the book in here.  Do people want the alcoholic recipes or the
preserves?

3.  Is buckwheat (and presumably its relation, rhubarb) period?
Found myself wondering the other day as I failed dismally to remember
my favourite recipe for buckwheat/buttermilk pancakes.  Does anyone
have access to the Sunday Times' Book of Real Bread?  Or else another
good suitable recipe?  My preference is for yeast-risen, not carb
soda.

4.  Did anyone have success with the lye-soap recipe?  I have
intended to try it for years now, but keep forgetting what I was
saving the ashes for and put them on the garden anyway.  My monthly
soapmaking session is always, as a result, with caustic soda.

5.  Have fun, all you who are going to Pennsic.  When is it, by the
way?  (can you tell I've never been?  I have been to Rowany, though -
all you who are going to that in a couple of weeks, enjoy it too)

Cairistiona