SC - Palladius, tamarind, buckwheat, soap

Mon Mar 16 08:14:16 PST 1998

> 3.  Is buckwheat (and presumably its relation, rhubarb) period?
> Found myself wondering the other day as I failed dismally to remember
> my favourite recipe for buckwheat/buttermilk pancakes.  Does anyone
> have access to the Sunday Times' Book of Real Bread?  Or else another
> good suitable recipe?  My preference is for yeast-risen, not carb
> soda.
>
> Cairistiona

I believe buckwheat is period, but that the use may have been primarily as
animal fodder.  It is used in some parts of England and France to make
pancakes, but the major use appears to have been in the US.

There is a yeast based recipe for buckwheat cakes in Modern Domestic Cookery
& Useful Receipt Book by Elizabeth Hammond, 1817.  But I would use Elizabeth
David's recipe, which follows.

Buckwheat Cakes

2/3 Cup buckwheat
2/3 Cup unbleached flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 Cup milk (body temperature)
1 tsp yeast
4 eggs
1/2 Cup milk (room temperature)

Sift flour and salt together in a bowl.
Turn the yeast to a thick cream with some of the warm milk.
Add to the flour, stir in the rest of the warm milk.
Cover and let rise (about 1 hour).
Stir in the 4 eggs and the 1/2 cup of milk (as needed).  Keeping the batter
fairly thick.
Cover and let rise (about 1 hour).
Make into small pancakes like blinis.

Bear